8170 Ronson Road, Suite R ​San Diego, CA 92111

Contractor's license #967435

How To Know When Your Electrical Systems Are Damaged

You should make sure that every part of your home is always in good condition so you can be comfortable in it. As you can imagine, it’s not always possible to know the condition of the wiring in your home until it becomes damaged and stops working. To avoid this issue, you should learn about the common signs of wiring problems. Here’s what you need to know

Flickering Lights

The wires are covered by a rubber exterior which protects the copper that acts as a conduit for electricity to get from its source to the appliance it needs to power. Any damage to the copper wires will interfere with the conduction of that energy and lead to instability in the energy conveyance. When this happens, the appliance will remain off when the wires aren’t placed in the right angle. This is one of the first signs that indicate that it’s time for you to change the wires to prevent major issues in the future.


When you plug an appliance in and you see a bright spark accompanied by a sharp “zap” sound, that’s another sign that there’s something wrong. This may be a problem with your appliance or the wiring inside the wall. This is a cause for concern, as it can become a fire hazard when not dealt with properly and quickly. Materials such as cloth and paper can catch fire from these sparks. Furthermore, it will put more strain on the electrical system of your home, which can reduce its longevity in the long run.

Hot Outlets

When outlets become hot, that’s usually an indication that there’s a leak in the wiring. Outlets usually have a system to prevent electricity from leaking, which will keep them from heating up. However, when these systems become worn, the outlets will overheat and, in some cases, explode. This is a common issue in older homes, as the quality of the materials used to make the outlets and wiring in them may have dropped or suffered over the years. Therefore, if you notice that any outlets in your home are warm to the touch, you will need to have them checked right away to avoid other serious issues from occurring.

The Causes of These Issues:
Plugging Extension Cords to One Another

An extension cord can be convenient, as it will allow you to make the most of one electrical outlet. However, an extension cord can only take so much before it becomes dangerous, inefficient, or both. If you’re plugging numerous extension cords into one another, you’re putting yourself at risk, as they can become too hot and catch fire.

Additionally, you need to make sure that you only use high-quality extension cords, as that’s the best way to ensure your safety. You may think that all extension cord is the same so it doesn’t matter if you buy a $20 or a $2 one. But if you take them apart to see inside them, you will see the safety measures built into an expensive extension cord to prevent overheating. Spending an extra bit of money will go a long way towards ensuring your safety, so you should never scrimp when it comes to electricity.

Not Working with Professionals

Your neighbor may claim that they can take care of the wiring in your home because they studied electrical engineering in college, but let us be the first to tell you that you shouldn’t listen to them. It’s a bad idea to let someone without the right experience, skills or tools near the wiring in your home. Only someone with an understanding of how electricity should be allowed to take on the task of fixing whatever is wrong with your wiring. Call a professional electrician to have them take care of any issues for you.

If you’re looking for a professional electrician service, Morey PHC is your best option. Get in touch with us today to see how we can help.